Friday 24 October 2014

Christmas Gift Ideas - part 3

Hello Sassy Friends!

Thank you for popping in to see the next little gift idea one could make ahead of time... some coasters using Simple Stories 'Cozy Christmas'. These would make a lovely seasonal gift or a sweet addition to your festive table setting. 
 * To start, you will need a 12x12 chipboard sheet.
The squares I have used have been trimmed down to 4x4inches each.
* Next, I have taken some decoupage paint (this is just a cheapie one) 
and painted all over the surface of the chipboard, 
paying special attention to the edges and corners.
* Using the leftovers from a pack of Sn@p cards, I have taken a couple 
of 4x6 ones and adhered them to the wet chipboard. 
Smooth out well to remove any air bubles. Repeat this process with all 
of the 'A' sides. For the 'B' sides, I have used a dark wood print
I think this gives a nice uniformity. You could of course, have pattern 
on both sides or you could even try using cork paper for the bottom.
* Once all the papers have been adhered, go ahead and embellish the top. I would only really use flat items, as you don't want glasses toppling over because the surface area is not flush! ;) Die cuts and stickers are great.
Take a corner rounder and round the edges if you like.

Now, I wanted my coasters to be water resistant. I could do a few layers of the sealer, but I didn't want the surface of my coasters to be sticky. I tried to laminate them... too fat for a decent seal. So I settled on my nemesis... contact paper!
(I have a roll that was banished to the back of the wardrobe after numerous unsuccessful attempts at covering my Son's school books in 2012!)

* Cut your contact to size and adhere to the front and back, pressing well 
to iron out any air bubbles. Trim the excess around the corners 
with some scissors or a craft knife.
I gave the edges of the coasters a bit of a seal with the decoupage glue, and once dry, coloured them with a gold marker. One more quick seal coat (use a fine paintbrush) and we are ready to rock and roll!
 Even if they don't last forever, they are still a fun way 
to jazz up those Chrissy beverages!

See you again next week!

Chantalle

1 comment:

  1. Wowwwww !! Excellent !! Greeaat ! thank you so much, another great tip for our table decoration !!

    ReplyDelete

09 10